Thursday, January 24, 2013

Get Hype

Welp, we haven't blogged since Thanksgiving...proving us slackers in the world of blogging...don't judge.

Sometimes I find I like particular customers at Starbucks more because they remind me of something/someone else. There's a man who comes in every day and orders a grande latte, light foam. Well, he reminds me of my dog growing up, Bootsie, who was the best cocker spaniel in the whole wide world! It must be the droopy brown eyes and light eyebrows. But because he reminds me of my childhood pup, I remember his drink and think "Bootsie" every. single. time.  Speaking of Starbucks, if you haven't watched the SNL video you should. Right now. It's hilarious and unfortunately true. Alright, on that note, allow me to catch you up on the last few months of 2012.

We enjoyed our first Christmas as a married couple. Jazz hands!
This is our Christmas tree. I would simply laugh every time I tried to enjoy our lights and decorations. Kind of endearing though, right?
We are still filling our new shoes as husband and wife and continue to grow in understanding. I (with Austin's help) have to fight darts of lies the enemy throws in my direction. I constantly have to keep my thoughts in check and rely heavily on God's truth. Such is life. That's why one of our new year's goals is to remind each other of Truth. It's amazing how quickly your soul settles after allowing God's truth to sink in.

A few more of our new year goals are:

-Seek out the Word of God.
-Exercise 2-3 times per week. I know, this seems so cliche, but I hardly have energy after work to exercise  So, my loving husband will work out with me so I will stay motivated. 
- Have an attitude of cheerfulness.
- Gift someone generously at least once a month for no apparent reason at all.
- Embrace a heart of peacefulness in the midst of unsteadiness. We are depending on Him to steady our prone to unsteady hearts.

Aside by Austin-

It is now almost February and I have to admit that  I have taken a liking to what we used to call techno and then called dance/electronica and now call dubstep (kind of the same genre with a different name right?). Katie and I have enjoyed a few dance parties in the living room to such music. It almost makes me want to dance as much as the banjo. Katie forgot to mention that we took a motorcycle trip to Pennsylvania when it was in the 40 degree range... a bit of fog, rain, night and not to mention 70 miles an hour of generous wind seizing your soul and trying to rip it out of your back (too graphic?). We retained our souls and our phalanges, but barely. Katie has admitted that it is funny now but it was, agreeably, altogether not at the time. Oh and did I mention that we were on the motorcycle for 9 hours in less than 24 hours? Give her a pat on the back next time you see her.

A few notes on work for those of us who put our hands to anything:
Proverbs 14:23 - In all toil there is profit...
I am seeking earnestly that profit (not financial). There is so much that God provides for others through our work whether one stays at home, raises kids, makes deals, signs contracts, builds buildings, cleans port-a-johns, makes sandwiches (sorry if I forgot your profession)...
Sure there are politics but I am finding a lot of satisfaction in the fact that I am not just playing with concrete and dealing in slabs and beams and columns and curbs; I create places for people to live and get their groceries and work. And I get to work outside (and yes it has been in the single digits on my job this week but I still kind of enjoy being outside all day in some sick sort of way... if nothing else it allows me to make war cries to stay warm and no one looks at me strange).
So my point is that all work has value and provides not for society but for actual people like you and me. So when we do our jobs well then our kids are less likely to need social workers (nothing against Katie's desired profession), we can learn from teachers, our cars work efficiently, our buildings don't fall down, our computers run at insanely high speeds, we can go to the bathroom in a clean public restroom, eat sanitary and well-prepared food, our pens work and don't just explode in our pockets, our pockets hold pens, our pants have pockets, our pants fit... yeah we need you to do your job well, whatever it is.

So I'll promise to not let my buildings fall down on you and Katie will supply the most hot and delicious and sugary concoction you can invent at Starbucks (if you're into that sort of thing).

There is no work so small that it is not cherished by God.

Get hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o54GvGL7sv8

Exeunt Omnes.

No comments:

Post a Comment