Sunday, November 25, 2012

Tid-bits of thankfulness


This week I earnestly sought after things I'm thankful for. I wanted the very things I take for granted to be revealed to me as precious gifts.

That's my favorite part about Thanksgiving. It provokes thought and a reflective posture. It enables me to step back and give praise for all things given by our good Father above. And it makes me want to step back more often throughout the year and remember the beauty and goodness of the life He's given us.

Tid-bits of Thankfulness:


- Alright, I have to gush. My husband tickles my heart! He cares for me so well and is learning and growing in love each and every day. We entered marriage not fully knowing how to care for each other in a way that speaks love and pulls on one another's heart strings (we're still learning and I'm convinced we'll never stop). The past couple months I've experienced Austin tuning into my needs and blasting me with heart darts! I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for this man. 

My hair is gradually getting darker as the winter months continue to lock me indoors due to unruly cold weather. The other day I asked Austin if my hair looked "mousy." He laughed, shook his head and said "No, your hair doesn't look mousy. You look beautiful." And that was that. A few days later we were driving in the car and Austin, out of the blue, said "Katie, I want to treat you to a trip to the hair salon to color your hair." I looked at him with disbelief and thankfulness. You see, he heard me when I asked if my hair looked mousy.  He wants me to feel beautiful and see myself as he sees me. But, the funny thing is, now that he's offered I don't even want my hair colored anymore. He made me feel all the more beautiful by caring and loving me so well. I am thankful for my husband. 

- Austin and I traveled to my parent's house for Thanksgiving this year. My mom assures me every time we visit that we don't need to bring much (or anything!). So, I take that literally and pack the basic toothbrush and foundation and rely on their bath supplies, hair brush, blankets, pillows, food...you name it and rest assure I don't bring it. Last night I went upstairs to gather shampoo and bath essentials to make it through the weekend. I was standing in my parent's bathroom watching them as they opened their cabinets simultaneously and looked for the perfect combination of supplies for me to carry back downstairs. I giggled at the given situation. Yes, it may seem like small act, but to watch them pilfer through their cabinets on hands and knees exemplifies how they are in various areas of life. I am thankful for my parents. 

 - I devoured gluten AND dairy-free pizza. I literally jump up and down at the grocery store when encountering such a treat. I am thankful for non-glutenous and darious foods. 

- Working at Starbucks has enabled me to help pay for my school loans AND I get an endless supply of coffee. Blissful. I am thankful for a job.

- Some friends stopped by Starbucks and surprised me while I was working on Thanksgiving (on other days too). I was so excited! I am thankful for new and growing friendships in Reston.

-  "He has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him..." Colossians 1:22 This verse spoke to my heart when I first understood God's undying love for me. I am thankful for a God who died for me so that I may be holy and blameless before him.


And I am thankful for a heart of thankfulness.

1 comment: